Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ghana Bound

       There's never a good reason to skip getting a Billy's Bakery cupcake, and knowing that you're going to be in Ghana for four weeks really gets you thinking. That's why I found myself on 9th Avenue today, buying one cupcake for the moment and one for the road. It was my way of saying farewell to the city, even if it's only for a short while.

       For one month, I will be volunteering at a school for girls in Tamale, Ghana. I don't know yet what I'll be teaching, but that has never stopped me before! Besides, it never hurts to receive more practice in the art of spur-of-the-moment lessons. All I know at this point is that I am one lucky teacher, and I will figure out the specifics soon enough.

       Earlier this week, Ghana flashed across everyone's radar when they played against the United States during the World Cup. Perhaps I need to be more patriotic, but I was kind of hoping Ghana would win. I was planning on joining their celebrations and buying Ghana-themed sports memorabilia to add to my basically nonexistent sports memorabilia collection. My new plan is to pretend I'm Canadian.

       In any case, I am thrilled to be going. One of my favorite things is meeting kids from around the world and finding out that they are basically the same, no matter their background. It's why I'm willing to give up Billy's cupcakes for four weeks, and that's really saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment