Monday, June 30, 2014

What you miss when it's gone

       I realize that I've only been in Ghana for one week, but I joined a conversation among volunteers who have been here for weeks or months and have weeks or months to go. We were talking about what we're going to do when we get home, and the conversation went a little something like this:

       "I'm going to brush my teeth in a sink."

       "I'm going to stand in the shower and actually drink the water."

       "I'm going to keep my feet and nails clean for more than ten minutes."

       "I'm going to get a manicure."

       "I'm going to sit in front of the washing machine and watch as my clothes wash themselves."

       "I'm going to get a manicure while I sit in front of the washing machine and watch as my clothes wash themselves."

       In other words, we're not suffering. We've just noticed the things that we used to take for granted. For example, sinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment