Saturday, June 23, 2012

In the Heat

       Yesterday, I experienced a Thai night market in Pattaya. The sun set, and people came out of the woodwork to browse and buy among the maze of stalls selling inexpensive goods. I can show you the pictures, but I can't possibly convey to you the smells. It was a mixture of cooking meat, fruit, flowers, heat, and people packed together in tight spaces. It felt exotic and exciting. As I wandered, in awe of my surroundings, I was mistaken as one of the many Russian tourists several times. I think it was the blonde braid.
       Today, I was ferried to an island off the coast of Pattaya. The blue-green water and white sand beaches reminded me that I was in a tropical paradise. Parasailing was offered, and as much fun as it looked, I observed safely from land (You're welcome Mom.). I paid 40 baht, a little more than a dollar, for a beach chair and umbrella, and the shade was well worth it. The clear water was like a hot tub in places, making the air feel actually cold when we walked back up on the sand. Feeling cold is so rare here that it has become a feeling I cherish when I can. During this coming winter, I am sure I will remember the sweltering heat with longing. I will look back on these pictures and imagine myself back in the midst of crowds of people, still debating which stall looks less appealing, the squid or the oysters.

      







2 comments: