Saturday, June 16, 2012

Thailand

        Time gets distorted when I fly. Technically, my day started 18 hours ago in Beijing, China when my plane arrived at the deserted airport. I have not slept since that flight, and in that time, I have lived enough to fill several days.
        In the moment when I thought I had broken the law by leaving the terminal without proper visa paperwork, I found out that Chinese customs officials are quite friendly. I also came out on top during my first language miscommuication when, instead of asking for the check to pay for my coffee, I ordered a second one. No harm done there as far as I am concerned.
        Another flight later, I found myself in a taxi headed for Pattaya, Thailand. I was relieved when we didn't hit the cow running across the toll road to reach another cow grazing along the shoulder. I marveled at the passengers sitting in the beds of speeding pickup trucks. I reminded myself how lucky I was to enjoy air conditioning.
        Tomorrow brings a visit to the water market and the first meeting with my elephant's mahout, but until then, the breezy porch is calling my name. There are books and soft chairs there. I will be there momentarily.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you arrived safely! Keep the adventures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're there!! I'm so glad you had a safe flight and everything is going well--remember, you need to let me know if the food is exquisite!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you did find coffee ! Looking forward to following your adventures:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love living a parallel life vicariously through one of my favorite students! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you were worried about finding any coffee at all ;) Glad you made it safely!

    ReplyDelete